Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today's ramble.

This thing isn't "live" yet (well I guess it is but I'm the only person who knows it exists) but I thought I'd post here if only to begin establishing the habit.  I am typically a pretty outspoken individual and am not shy about sharing opinions, but I thought I would start this blog to try to. . .consolidate some of my thoughts and opinions.  (Not that I think they're particularly noteworthy or unique but hey, why not?)

I'm not even sure what format this blog will take.  I recently read one of those "demotivational" posters that seemed particularly insightful,  "You can do anything you want but you can't do everything you want".  There are so many things to do or that can be done it's tough to decide what is worth doing sometimes.  What is "fun"?  What is worth doing?  Can anybody do anything truly unique that will stand for all time?  Ideas come and go.  People come and go.  Even history changes over time until much is forgotten or relegated to rumor.  Will anybody remember Gutzon Borglum?  "Who?" you say.  The sculptor who lead the team who created the carving on Mt Rushmore.   How long until the names of the figures on the monument are forgotten, let alone who did the carving?   Will they be torn down by erosion, by man, or by natural disaster?  Who knows?  My point is that for me at least, at times it's tough deciding if something is worth doing.  Why do it?  What will come of it?  Will it matter in the slightest in the long run?   Maybe it doesn't matter if I'm not the guy who cures cancer or walks on the moon.  Maybe if all I do is do my part that is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I know it exists, Good luck with your writing, I feel the same way about my blog. So much to do, so little time.

    ReplyDelete